Tuesday, July 5, 2011

its all about the destination

June 27th. Monday. Was a late night.
I found myself sitting on the livingroom rug far too often encircled by gear thinking, "What happened to my minimalist packing plan?"
Around midnight I had all my gear in their intended pannier and was about to step on the scale to see where my pack weight was at.
Totalling to .... 44lbs. No. 
This didn't include the:
-Few pieces of gear I had purchased a couple hours before that were being shipped out to Allen's.  Key pieces - My hammock, stove, pot, water filter, odometer, and more water bottle cages.
-Some food items I still needed to buy.
and
-Water.
Staring at my gear, once again, shocked because I thought I was packing the bare minimums.
There I was pulling everything out of the packs.
Sorting and tossing out the once necessary items.
I didn't stand on the scale again....because I knew it would tell me I had yet more pack weight needing to be shed.  I was going to wait until I had all gear when I was out at Allen's - and for the final time - organize and re-pack.
**
I headed out to the garage to put my handlebar bag mount on my bike. It didn't fit. Of course.  I just set the tools down and walked away.  A hardware store was needing a visit...but that was going to wait until I was out West.
**
I went to bed.  Not worried about all the un-checked items on my to-do list.
They will get done ... within the next week.
**
June 28th. Tuesday. 
It was surprisingly hard to rise.
Destination: Out of Michigan.
My 5:30AM alarm didn't manage to win the battle with the back of my eyelids.
An hour later I rose with some energy.  Soon to be defeated by the unusual amount of gear needing to fit in the car, a bag forgotten to be packed for the travels to and while out West, and a bike rack that didn't fit my sisters car.




Trunk and back seat full.








Cracking a smile in the midst of organized chaos.






I managed to find a way to make the rack work and secure the bike.







Breakfast with my grandma fell through because she was being a busy bee out in the yard when we called to let her know we were ready.  Instead, the three of us sisters enjoyed a pre-travel meal at a local coffee shop downtown, and while pulling out of the drive way -- the adventure that was about to happen finally hit me.  It was finally here... and happy tears rolled out of my eyes.
**
9:20AM. We were on our way.  Taking a more Southern route out to Cali, St. Louis was our first destination pit stop.
**
We hit Indiana. Construction and the Indiana drivers made for this qoute by Britt, "This is going to be one of those states you just try and get through as quickly as possible."  Later,  I spotted a New Mexico license plate and said, "I have never seen one of those."  Britt follows up with, "Niether have I.  Best part of Indiana."
**
We made it to St. Louis, MO.  Thought it would be necessary to visit the Gateway to the West.

We rode a cramped cart elevator up to the top.  620ft.
**
The day ended in Kansas City, MO where we found a room to get a much needed solid nights rest.
**
June 29th. Wednesday.
Destination: Boulder, Colorado
Getting ourselves out of Kansas City was more difficult than should have been.  Construction. One ways.  Poor highway signs. and A wrong turn on the highway had us caught up for about 45mins.
Finally heading West on I-70, we simultaneously took deep breaths, laughed, and then high fived because we managed to do so without getting in an argument. 
Tempuratures across Kansas reached 107 degrees.
We couldn't wait to see the mountains.
And when we did, we were like giddy little girls cheering and honking the horn.
**
We made it to Boulder.  Walked the Campus of University of Colorado.  And found a little brewery along Pearl Street, where we enjoyed a drink, a bite, and people watching.
We intended on staying in a local hostel, but was advised not to.  We continued on back down to Denver, and found a place to stay in Idaho Falls.
**
June 30th.  Thursday.
Destination:  Arches National Park, Utah.


We were pleasantly surprised when we woke this morning.  We were surrounded by mountains and behind the white fence was a rushing, spring melt river running right beside.
Onward to the Arches.
Found a rock I wanted to climb.
Fascinated by the beauty.

Making our way to Delicate Arch.
Delicate Arch.

The trip continued.
Took a pit stop next to the Great Salt Lake.
Drove through the Great Salt Lake Dessert.
Called it a day in Wendover, Utah at a bojank motel.
**
July 1st. Friday.
Destination:  Allen.  Grass Valley, CA.
We met Allen and Shiva in the Martis Lake Rec Park :) in Lake Tahoe area.
Day ended with making dinner, having wine, and enjoying talk.
**
July 2nd. Saturday.
Wine tasting at Avanguardia vineyards.



EXCELLENT wines.
**
July 3rd. Sunday.
Yuba River.
Pictures are on Allens camera.
**
July 4th. Monday.
Red. White. And Blue.
Parade downtown Grass Valley.
Fireworks Lake Tahoe.
Parking lot "Picnic"

Waiting for the fireworks to begin.
 Lake Tahoe behind her.
Enjoying the Fireworks.
They went off from 4 different location around the lake.
**
July 5th. Tuesday.
Organizing gear.
and
Nevada City, CA.

 *
Tomorrow we plan to leave Grass Valley.
Take the coast to the Redwoods in Northern California.
Be in AWE and camp.
Head inward towards Crater Lake in Oregon.
And make our way back to the coast to Florence, Oregon.
Estimated start : July 8.
Finally:)

1 comment:

  1. I giggled at the parking lot picnic- remembering one in that stinky, fly bitten lot on Oahu...

    ReplyDelete