Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 4 : July 12, 2011
Prineville, OR to Dayville, OR
86 miles
*
Before jumping on my bike, I felt ready to roll ; although I had just indulged in a "free" -donations welcome- breakfast at a local school 
consisting of
bagels - with peanut butter and cream cheese
muffins - blueberry and chocolate chip
scrambled eggs
orange juice
and 
yogurt.
No, that was not the menu list.  That was in my stomach.
I doubt they expected a starving cyclist to come through.
It wasn't until after I had ate and left that I realized there was no conversation with the people surrounding me.
There are a few possibilities for why this happened :
1. I am unfriendly.
2. They are unfriendly.
3. They were concerned of my unusual cave-woman like appearance
and barbarian eating habits.
or
4. I was zoned and focused on my food - thinking and knowing
 the next time I will be eating something other than oatmeal for breakfast
is a long shot down the road.
Hint : #2 - 4 are clearly* over exaggerated
and
#1 is clearly* more logical.
*everyone is free to have their own opinion.

^^

*
^^
Today could be explained as ... there are no words to describe.
It is hard to truelly tell the type of emotions you face 
while on an adventure
:::
such as
:::
cycling across America.
It was only the fourth day into a tour that is to take around 75 days
and I was already questioning my sanity
and my ability.
I had prepared myself the best I could for time allowing.
But there is only so much you can do.
Nothing can prepare you for what you actually face when on the road.
*

I had a late start  departing @ 12:30pm.
It didn't  take long for me to find myself cursing my bike seat, my handlebars, and my helmet.
All 3 caused a day full of pain.
A very long day.
I found myself taking pictures of road kill.
Three to note :
Owl
rattlesnakes by the dozen
and
a horse.
This was all along a steady 34 mile climb to my first summit of the day
 Ochoco Pass 4,720'

A fairly untraveled road where most (ahem, all) of
my conversation was held with the animals
on the other side of the fence.
You know, a simple
moooomooo
baaabaa
neighneigh
or occasional tweet of a bird.
I found the cow easiest to strike up a friendly chat.
*



These were along the road while climbing up to Keyes Creek Pass Summit.












They were unexpected.
 fun.
and needed.




I hit my second summit
Keyes Creek Pass 4357' a couple hours later.
I was very tired and miserable at this point..
I tried to show it on my face for the picture I sent out to my family.
My mom was able to read the eyes and non-smile.
There was another 32 miles to be covered before finding a place to sleep.
With it already being 7PM, I was pushing to make it with sunlight to spare.
Although the road traveled at a gradual decline, pedaling was still very necessary due to wind.
It was a very lonely stretch.
Not one car passed.
I was tired of dealing with the thoughts in my head.
MUSIC. DUH. I put my headphone on.
It took me through the John Day Fossil Beds.
Which were neat...maybe more remarkable
if I was more coherent at the time.





Positive this river was flowing UP the mountain.







*
When I approached Dayville, the sun had set and not one open sign was on.
I wanted a shower and a bed.
My maps show a hostel is available.
Well after following direction on the office of a lodging area I was to ring the triangle bell..if no answer ring the buzzer...if no answer call such and such number.
I called the number, interrupted his dinner, and slept in a very
overpriced 'hostel' style sleeping arrangements.
Bonus...fresh cherry trees along the porch.

5 comments:

  1. I literally laughed out loud at the thought of you riding down the road mooing and baaing at the animals beside you! The people around me in this computer lab at GVSU must think I'm insane :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. =)!
    It didn't take long for me to realize how easy it may be to go a bit insane or at least look it.
    Music is keeping me in tune with the outside world. And I cherish the conversation exchange between me and the cashiers at gas stations. "That will be $7.73. Credit or debit?" "Okay, debit."

    ReplyDelete
  3. A horse roadkill? And you didn't take a picture? Um, ok, I guess I get why you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have taken a picture now that I think about it. It was down in the ditch.. caught me off guard .and smelly. I was in a zone ..and all I thought.. "Hmm, that is a dead horse and the rancher probably has no idea it is there. Weird. That's sad." And continued riding.

    ReplyDelete