Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 6 : July 14, 2011
Mount Vernon, OR to Union Creek Campground, OR
73 Miles
*
The morning sun on my face beat the alarm of the roosters crow.
I managed a quick fix with a pillow to snag as many extra
minutes of sleep I could have.  It didn't take long,
or perhaps what felt short, for the rooster
to fulfill his roll of annoyance.
I stood up and put
the pot of
water
on
the
stove
and began 
gathering some of
my gear as the water was
working its way to a boil.  I poured
the water over my oatmeal and freeze dried
instant coffee, and while waiting for the oatmeal to set
I cooked up a couple more of the farm fresh eggs.  I enjoyed
my breakfast on the porch while watching the farm animals .. be animals.
The friendly farm dog.  I played tug-o-war with him before riding off around 10AM.
 *
There were three mountain passes that were covered in todays ride.
I was a bit apprehensive about how my knee would 
hold up.

There are a lot of objects whether big or small that I pass that take me to some thought or memory.  This one in particular : Home.
*
Today I felt great.
My body was responding and mind was all smiles.
*
I made my way up to Dixie Pass.
A summit of 5, 277'
*
At the bottom of Dixie Pass was Austin Junction.
Here, I conversed with a number of cyclist making a similar pit stop as me.
YUM.
The other cyclists left and headed West, and shortly after I was hopping on my bike to head East.
I didn't make it but 5 feet, and I could feel I had a flat.
I get off and look, and sure enough, the rim was to the ground.
I spent the next 1.5 hours taking off, putting on, searching the tire and tube, re-pumping, listening.
I did find a slash in the tire.
I put a new one on.
Still didn't keep air.
I found a staple.
Found a hole in the tube.
Patched it.
Still wouldn't hold air.
Couldn't find another hole.
I was aggravated by this point.
I decided I would periodically stop to pump it up until I made it to Baker City where there was a bike shop.
Around 55 miles away.
*
Around 3PM I was on the road making my way up to Tipton MTN..
It was a steady 8 Mile climb
which I hit the summit around 3:45.
*
The next stretch was 14 miles until I would hit Sumpter Pass
5, 082'
Mountain side pastures.  The herd of cattle is hard to make out in the back left.

Summit #3
I made it there around 5:30PM and had
another 31 miles until Baker City.
*
I made my way down the mountain.
My body had been feeling great all day.
The rest of the route was a lot of up and down and
my knee was becoming achy.
I came upon a National Forest Campground around 14 miles later.

I took a ride through it and decided this was the place to camp.

I found a pleasant spot on Phillips Lake.
The lake is the bright white behind the trees...my camera phone was unable to capture the beauty.
I had my hammock set up.
Made a handy clothes line out of bungee cords.
and Began dinner.
*
Talked about my trip with the camp hosts and neighboring campers.
It is really fun to talk to people about the trip and feed off of their excitement for me.
It helps keep the energy flowing throughout the day.
***
Here are only a few thoughts that have crossed my mind while riding:
~ The creation and laying of an egg is rather startling to me.
~This is crazy. and cool.
~The empty wrappers along the road make me hungry.
~My pain is distracting me.
~I wouldn't mind being a open range cow for a day.
~Steak and potatoes.
~Life is wonderful.
~I want to be able to shoot clay pigeons.
~Look forward to seeing my family.
~I need a lasso to rope a car as it passes when going up a mountain side.
~When will I come across another rider.
~Absolutely nothing.

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts at the end! Very funny! With how resourceful you were by making a clothesline out of bungees - you just might be able to lasso yourself a car on your next climb :)

    ReplyDelete