Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 9 : July 17, 2011
Payette NFCampground, ID to Pollock, ID
93 Miles
I woke up alive and extremely well rested.
And the earliest on record for this trip so far.
7:15AM
*
Two tracked my way back to the road
and made the summit
2.5 miles later.
Then 17 miles of downhill into Cambridge.
Here, I was greeted by a crazy, young guy cheering and waving along the side of the road...dressed in bike gear, smoking a cig.
Caught off guard - A wave didn't seem sufficient, and I felt
obligated
to stop.
Plus, I was just as excited inside to come across another biker!
He was just packing up his camp and asked which way I was headed.
East to the coast.
So was he.
Do you want to ride together.
pause.
Sure.
*
We had a 41 mile, mostly steady climb to Tamarack.
and
A 33 mile gradual decent.
*
It was either find a campsite in the next few miles or I would hit well over 100 miles in the day if we continued on to the next town.
Because of the nice down hill or perhaps the company of another, I felt I could go on...but I wasn't sure how the next day would fare.
He, Greg, was around 20 miles less than me for the day..so he left the decision up to me.
We found a campsite along the Little Salmon River.

Laundry and Bath night!!!!
*
The night time routine is definately different...and in most respect...more enjoyable
when accompanied by someone else.

3 comments:

  1. Yea! I'm glad you had company. Were you evenly paced? We need a picture of Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our fitness levels really complimented each other...it was great!
    I did out climb him a few times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our fitness levels really complimented each other ... it was great!
    I did out climb him a few times :)

    ReplyDelete