Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 1 : July 9, 2011
Florence, OR to Eugene, OR
*
The original plan was to leave out of Harbor Vista Park - (My maps informed me of this location as a ceremonially coast-2-coast tire dipping access).  When we arrived it was an RV park with a rocky walk to not the ocean..but a harbor.  I wanted it to be official.  So we drove down the road a couple miles where it was a dead end in a beach park.  The ocean was over sandy dunes and near 1/2 mile walk across the beach.  No way was I doing that with a bike.
We went back to the previous park, and I asked the park host if they had access to the ocean.  She was rather shocked there park was a good place to do the tire dip because there was no access : /.  
She told me there are condos a few miles down the road and are right on the ocean.
We made our way there ... and luckily there was a public parking lot right next door.
Though it was about a 1/4 mile walk on the beach to reach the ocean...
it would be worth it.
I loaded up my bike.
Fortunately, the tide had moved out - most of the sand we walked on was wet and firm - making it way easier to push the bike.
It was very windy and chilly.
And I made it as close as the waves and soft sand would allow me.
*
Once back at the car, I had a few items and equipment I needed to organize and get ready.
Later than planned, 1:30PM I was taking my first peddle.
(And almost falling over because of the weight of the bike and the gravel parking lot)
...
About a 1/2 mile down the road, I realized I need air in my tires. 
(One of those pre-ride must do checks.)
I turned around and right as Brittany was pulling out of the parking lot...there I was.
She gave me the surprised, confused face.
I wanted her to hold my bike while I pumped them up :)
Lets try this again...
See you on the East coast.
**
The ocean was about 6 miles off from the map start position...beginning on the corner of HWY126 and 101.
I found my way to 101.
But could not find 126.
There I was .. 6miles in .. asking for directions.
It was the next stoplight.
I was rolling down 126 -- pssssssssspop!
FLAT TIRE.
Mile 10.

(What is with mile 10 ?  First ride after purchasing the bike, at mile 10, I was fixing a flat.)

*
I was back on the road with a bit of a high deflate but the country side I road through made up for it.
I had 2 climbs today.
1st was a little over 1000
and the 2nd was near 800.
Slow. and Steady.
Mid-way up the first climb was a natural waterslide.
I stopped and took a ride down.  A local attraction.  LOTS of people.
At the top, was a little town, Triangle Lake.
Where I took a break and had a lunch on the lakeside.
With the late start, I was pushing to get to Eugene before dark.
85.5 miles later and around 9PM I was in Eugene.
Met Brittany at the motel and called it a day.
***
Day 2 : July 10, 2011
Eugene, OR to Mckenzie Bridge, OR
There were a couple places I wanted to see before leaving Eugene. 
1. Hayward Field
Historical, world famous track and field only venue.

2.  Steve Prefontaine's memorial rock 
Legendary distance runner.
The site where his car accident occurred.
*
Around 11:45AM I was on my way.
The first 15 miles of this route, I passed a number of bikers out for a Sunday ride.
Around mile 14, at the end of Old Mohawk Rd., on my map I am to Cross over Marcola Rd onto Camp Creek Rd..
There was no Camp Creek Rd.

I got out my compass and headed East on Marcola Rd, thinking it would lead me to a turn onto Camp Creek.
I second guessed myself...and turned around and headed in the other direction.
Then I doubted myself again, and turned around into the previous direction.
About 5 miles down the road there was a person at a stop sign.  I asked her if she knew where Camp Creek Rd. was.
She says, "Yeah. Yeah.  Its down that way." Pointing in the opposite direction I was going.
I asked about how far.
She lets me know it is quite a ways...but it is at a stop light and you will take a left onto it.
With about 15 "lost" miles, I was back on-route.
Soon to be stung on the leg by a bee.  It hit me in the face, and fell onto my leg.  I can't even remember the last time that happened.
The rest of today took me along Mckenzie River.  A stunning, crystal clear river.
I arrived in Mckenzie Bridge around 7PM and stopped at a little store to ask whether Mckenzie Pass was open.
Due to snow, it is typically closed until early July.
I was notified it is still closed to cars, but a path is cleared for pedestrians and bikers...he thought.
After looking at the map, I knew there was no way I would make it to the top before dark.
Completing 84 miles, I found a campground - "Paradise". Part of the Willamette National Forest and right along the Mckenzie River.
The name was quite fitting.
I found a site and set up camp.
(Bike and picnic table to the left...I wanted the tree on the right in the pic because it was massive..and I knew my mama would love it)

Made dinner.
-I could not find or remember where I put matches...I asked neighboring campers if they could spare some- 

and enjoyed a campfire.
*
I had a hard time keeping warm at night and woke a number of times because of it.

***
Day 3 : July 11, 2011
Mckenzie Bridge, OR to Prineville, OR
Today was a big day.
First mountain pass.
I was to climb up and over Mckenzie Pass this morning.
When I arrived to the road that lead up to the pass, I decided I was not going to risk making the climb and not be able to pass all the way over.

There was an alternate called Santium Pass.
Lower at 4,817ft and a more gradual climb, but 20 miles longer.
The pedal up I passed a number of waterfalls...this one I stood under to cool off...
and lava rock fields

It took between 4 and 5 hrs and 30 miles straight of mountain climbing and I was finally at the top.
Then I cruised 20 miles down to Sisters, OR.
Took a pit stop at good ole Mickey D's where I enjoyed a smoothie and figuring out where I was to go from there.
It was around 4PM. 
A lot of day light still left.
and Comfortable biking weather.
I decided I was going to make it to Prineville.
It was another 40 miles.
I hit the road and 1.5 miles down I realized I did not have my sunglasses.
A must... 
I turned around to find them where I left them on the ledge outside the McDondalds.
The rest of today's ride was quite a change from the first half.
Country, desert land.
With a lot of hay fields
and a lot of horse, cattle, and sheep ranches.
Big, exhausting day having covered 93 miles.
Found a campgroud.
Did the same routine from the previous night (minus a campfire) and quickly found my hammock for some rest.
 ***
Day 4 : July 12, 2011
Prineville, OR to ??
Today I have two mountain passes.
I will start out in Prineville which is a little under 3,000ft.
Climb up to
Ochoco Pass 4, 720ft
Ride down 2, 000 ft 
and climb back up to
Keyes Creek Pass 4, 357ft
I am not sure where I will get to today or when my next update will be.
peace

1 comment: