Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 5 : July 13, 2011
Dayville, OR to Mount Vernon, OR
A solid 23 miles
*
It was a slightly awkward start to the morning.
I was awaken by a knock and a jostle of the door and a flip of the light switch.
"O SHOOT."
A very embarrassed grounds owner who, what I am assuming, thought I had already left because my bike was not on the porch where he said most cyclists leave theirs.
I was annoyed. My alarm was to go off
in 3 minutes.....that is 3 very important end-of-your-rest minutes. ;)
I arose from the covers and began my
...oatmeal....
Packed up the bike
and was on the road around 10.
*
I had plans of making it near Austin Junction which was 71 +/- miles away.
*
Shortly into my ride I very quickly realized I would not be making it as far as intended.
This was the dreadful day
that I was hoping I wouldn't be facing....
right knee pain.
Along with that, my muscles were slow to respond.
And all mental toughness was depleted.
*
I quickly decided today I would make it to John Day.
32 short miles away.
*
Well, after having to walk my bike up a hill because of my knee...
I knew it was going to be a long day of short little rides covering the miles until John Day.
*
There was one town between Dayville and John Day.
Mount Vernon.
When I hit this town I was planning to buy some lunch and ice cream and relax in a park for a few hours.
I was not expecting to have been greeted by a cheerful, warm smile
of lady who pulled up beside me in her vehicle as I waited to cross the street.
She asked if I was travelling across the country
and noted she had a guest house available to bike travellers only.
Whether I just wanted to relax there or stay the night, it was available.
*
It couldn't have been any more perfect of timing for such a coincidence.
Everything about me was exhausted and aching,
and I couldn't have asked for a better place to make me feel at home.
 Very cute farm house tucked on the side of the moutain.
Guest house. The kitchen window overlooked the farm animals and the mountain side.


There were farm fresh eggs. There is something about an egg right out of the coop.  I boiled few for the road.
*
For the afternoon, I laid down while icing my knees and watching Braveheart.
*
I walked down to the town afterwards to stop at the post office...which I mailed near 4lbs of gear home...
and decided to grab a bite at the local cafe.
Very delicious burger.  But best of all
Grandma's homemade Raspberry Peach Pie.
Clearly one of the benefits to this trip. And I easily could have ate the whole pie.  Fabulous.
*
God made it clear as day that I was in much need of a rest day.
*
It is hard to ignore a slap in the face.
*
My evening ended with enjoying carrots and popcorn while watching the best Disney movie and the best Disney Princess...Pocahontas.
*
I realized that during the beginning of my trip rest days are going to be more crucial due to the adjustment of the terrain.
Michigan....your 'mountain' hills failed me.

2 comments:

  1. ...and now I'm crying. The people around me must think I'm really insane now! (and I might be because I have been here for 4 hours working on a project:) I'm so glad God sent that lady to offer you rest! Keep your head up and know that a lot of people are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, my mom was in tears when I was telling her about this on the phone. It even had me tearing up bc I was in such need of it :)

    ReplyDelete