Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 25/21 : August 2, 2011
Havre, MT to Hinsdale, MT
*
When I woke this morning, I felt I was waking on a cloud.
Surrounded by plush pillows and blankets.
Do I have to get up?
*
I went down to the lobby to use their computer to try and create a route
through Minnesota, Wisconsin and into U.P.
I was needing to figure out mileage so I could
let my aunt and uncle know when I would
be arriving
at their cabin in the Keweenaw.
It was difficult through a computer screen.
I asked front desk if they had maps of the Midwest.
No.
A couple over heard me.
They had an extra map they could give me.
They also warned me that flooding has made the WIlliston/Minot area difficult to find places to stay.
And suggested taking a train to
get through that section.
I decided to ride on and deal with it when I went through that section.
*
Same heat. Same environment. Same scenery.
 Run down buildings and homes.

 Bowdin National Wildlife Refugee.
Lake Bowdin.
*
The long stretches through the open plains
zoned me out and I would ride mile after mile
before breaking.
Today, I don't know how I did it, but it was 5 hours later, 90 miles to the day
and I was in Malta.
I filled up on water in a gas station and ran into a very friendly and excited
couple.  They really made me smile and feel good.
Thanks.
I found a local park where I took a couple hour break from the heat
and
hit the road again around 6PM.
Hinsdale was 42 miles away.
*
20 miles in and about 8 miles from Saco
my trip went sour.
And I ran into an unfortunate happening.
I wanted to get away from that area
and hope the individual wouldn't catch on that I had my phone to my ear,
so I was riding as fast as I could while
calling 911.
I tried reaching my family too, but sketchy service made it hard to connect the call since I wasn't staying in one place.
Finally, 9 miles later, right outside of Saco, a deputy met me.
I filed a report and was then driven 13 miles to the next town, Hinsdale.
Being a small town there were no motels to put me up in.
We went into the convenient store to ask
if there was a park I could camp in.
Luckily, there was a lady in there who said the Lutheran church is always open, and they allow people to stay in the basement.
The deputy brought me over to the church.
The parking lot was full.  With 5 vehicles.
He walked with me to the basement where we heard voices.
Everyone stopped when they saw an officer round the corner.
He explained that I needed a place to stay and heard the basement was available.
They said of course.
And it was shortly followed with a couple offering a cabin they rent out to hunters and others..it is a block from the church.
I could stay there.
I took the offer.
*
My phone had died when I was reaching my family on my bike,
 and all they knew was I was in some trouble and the police were helping me.
I was finally able to reach them, and full of emotions,
let them know I was okay.
The rest of the night was trying to figure out what I was going to do.
I wanted to finish.
But I couldn't do it by myself.
I was scared.
I didn't want to be outside alone.
I either needed to go home
or find someone to finish the ride with me.
I spoke with Greg.
He was in Lander, Wyoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment