Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 20/16 : July 28, 2011
Ferndale, MT to Saint Mary, MT
Today's destination was Glacier National Park.
And, of course, the ride leading up was beautiful.
(A daily re-occurring scenario.)
*
Large garden farm.
love.
 *
The camera doesn't capture the same bright yellow field as my eyes did.
 *
I don't know how necessary this stop was.




 *
Going To The Sun Road is closed to bikers from 11AM to 4PM.
I had 1.5 hours before I would be able to begin my climb.
So, I ate lunch while looking over Lake MacDonald.
 in Awe.
*
As soon as the clock hit 4PM, I was on the road.
*
Unreal.



 *
My original intention was to make it to Avalanche Campground at bottom of where the climb began over Logan Pass.
When I reached the campground, I decided to continue on because I was making
good time, I felt great, and I had 4 hours of sunlight left.
It was 5:30PM with 16 miles of climbing and 20 more miles until a campground.





 Ran out of water...so I filled at these falls.
A risk (maybe) worth taking.
Delicious.
(Fast forward...no sickness followed.)

 After rough roads and 3 construction stops I made it to the summit a little after 8PM.
:)!!
The highest summit of the trip.

 The sun was setting as I was descending.
My phone ran out of battery and I was unable to capture a beautiful sun set.
Saw 2 black bear
and
3 long horn sheep.   (From afar)
I hit 42mph ... and passed a car (That was a pretty cool feeling:)
The last 11 miles were rolling hills.
*
All campgrounds were full.
I rode around the last campground of the park, and found an area
designated for non-vehicle travellers.
There were 4 hikers (Men : 2 and 2), an older couple (day hikes), and another solo-woman cycle traveller ( 2 week ride.. grew up in Troy, MI) !
Fun, nice, and interesting people.




No comments:

Post a Comment