Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 14: July 22, 2011
Missoula, Montana
*
Slept in.
I didn't want to leave the big, comfy bed.
(This was an issue every morning)
*
I ate cereal with fresh garden strawberries on top while sipping coffee
on the back patio.
Annette and Paul have a beautiful backyard.
This is the way a yard should be.
A bountiful garden.



No grass.  Just flowers. Trees.  Fruit and Veggie garden.
*
Greg and I took Annette's car to downtown Missoula.
We made a stop by the Adventure Cycling Association headquarters.
We had our picture taken and posted on the wall with the other fellow tourers on the road.
Ate free ice cream and soda.
And chatted with other riders in the building.
*
We met up with Annette's daughter Madison.
She filled the roll of our tour guide for the day.
A grand one at that.
We walked through the downtown stretch and onto the University of Montana campus.
Filling us in about the life of Missoula.
Pointing out hot spots.
Bike shops.
Coffee houses.
and
Local breweries.
*
After we parted from Madison, we went to
Uptown Diner.
I was told by Bob and Kelly Keller, friends from MI, to have a Strawberry Banana shake from here.
And that I did.
 
*
The day was finished with wine, wine, and wine, and good, local pizza on the back patio.

*:*:*

Day 15: July 23, 2011
Missoula, Montana
*
Paul, Greg, and I rode bikes to down town.
Morning of the Farmers Market.
What a treat.
Local veggies. Fruits. Baked goods.
So fun walking through the market.
There are 3 different location throughout downtown Missoula.
Missoula Farmers Market.
Clark Fork River Market.
and
Missoula Saturday Market.
Keeps you busy for a couple hours.
*
Madison gave us a ride back to our bike on the rickshaw she was servicing for the market hours.
I wish I had a picture.
Fun.
*
We rode our bikes to "The M" trailhead on the Univ.of Montana campus.
(This is not from my camera and the sky did not look like that but I wanted to show you what  I meant by 'The M')
*
We zigzagged our way to the M.
Overlooking the campus and city.
 *
We continued to the top of Mount Sentinel.
Mount Jumbo.
After a good sweat, a couple hours later, and running the last 200 meters, we were at the top!
(My lungs were burning.)
We snacked on a pound of cherries Paul bought at the market, then proceeded to descend.
*
On our bike ride back home, we stopped in a local brewery.
The guys had beer and I had a delicious glass of wine.
*
Once we were back home, we rested for about an hour.
Then headed to XC mountain bike race at Marshall Mountain.
It was Missoula's first USA Cycling Pro Mountain Bike Cross Country Tour race.
A local pro came out on top.
Sam Schultz.

Canadian chasing him down.
I captured his finish really well.....

*
The night finished with grilled chicken, potatoes, and broccoli.
Wine.
and
A round of Boggle.

*:*:*

Day 16: July 24, 2011
Missoula
*
Slept in.
Vegged around for a bit.
Greg and I road bikes to The Goodfood Store to check out their bulk section.

Continued onto a bookstore. Sat until closing reading gardening books and how to properly compost.
*
Made our way back to their home.
And that is a wrap.

*:*:*

Day 17: July 25, 2011
Missoula
*
The day was spent lounging.
The. whole. day.
*
Dinner was again delicious.
Lamb meatballs. Roasted red peppers. Onions.
Wine.
*
After dinner, Greg and I rode our bikes to The Big Dipper.
A local ice cream parlor.
I enjoyed black licorice and pumpkin.
Greg ate yellow cake and coconut.
Yum.
*
The night finished with packing up our gear.
Tomorrow we would depart.

3 comments:

  1. Missoula sounds pretty neat! Glad you were able to rest and tour the town for a couple of days. All this talk of ice cream and wine is making me crave something delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard Missoula is a killer town and your description matched up. I only got to stop there briefly on the way to Seattle. Looks like I really missed out. Thanks for the market pics. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mikal,

    Checking in to see where you guys are. Hope all is going well. We sure enjoyed having you with us.

    Keep in touch!

    Kiki and Greg

    ReplyDelete