Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 13: July 21, 2011
Weir Hot Springs, Idaho to Missoula, Montana
77.5 Miles
*
It was a late night in the hot spring.
Causing a late start to todays ride.
 The best campsite so far.
Making breakfast
and
pumping water.

We hit the road aroun 11:30.
It was a steady 25 mile climb until we hit Lolo Pass.
*
Along the route, the day before,
a semi had over turned and dumped a load of unprocessed toilet paper into the Lochsa River.
This is one roll and pieces of the semi. (Lady happened to be posing at the time)
While riding along the river, we passed about 6 that had made there way down the river near 10 miles.
8 rolls.
Weighing 8,000lbs each.
and When water logged weighing over 30,000lbs.
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_73d5bc5e-b284-11e0-b309-001cc4c002e0.html
*
Greg pointed out the moose.

 We hit the last 6 miles of the steep climb up to Lolo Pass and 3 tourers were flying down.
Greg getting a start on the climb.

I felt great and summitted in under an hour.

We took a short break at the visitors center, but needed to keep pushing on
because once again, we would be battling with day light.
*
At the pass, you enter Montana. State #3

and because I didn't get a picture by the Idaho sign when I entered Idaho
I took one here
(State #2)
*
We had 45 miles until Missoula.
Most of which was a gradual downhill.
THere was about 8 miles of fast cruising. 30+mph.
and then from there on out we averaged 20mph.
To hit the town of Lolo in under 2 hours.
*
When in Missoula, the plan was to stay with my cousin Paul and his wife Annette.
He was unaware of when I would arrive. The last time I contacted him was 2 days ago
and I figured I would be to Missoula in 3 or 4 days.
I was ahead of schedule.
When we got into Lolo, I called him.
It was after 9PM.
Surprised and interupting his meal.
We had 10 miles until South Missoula, and he would meet us there with his truck to drive us to their house.
There were 2 quick climbs and finally... Missoula.
We went to a Safeway, purchased a 6 pack and waited for Paul.

*
He grilled us up elk burgers.
So tasty.
Exchanged conversation.
and
Welcomed the ZZZ's.

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo state #3! I loved that you just turned around to get the state number 2 sign in there! Who is cousin Paul?

    ReplyDelete